Perhaps the most common investment advice is to stay invested. Whatever age you are, wherever you are on life’s journey, it is human nature to live in the moment and cope with whatever challenges life throws at you.
But it is always important to remember why you are investing. By keeping focused on your reasons for investing it will help you maintain your investment goals as well as influence how you manage your investments in future.
Selecting the most appropriate investments to align with your values and life goals requires undertaking the right planning to accumulate wealth over the long-term. Your investment goals will change throughout the course of your life so it’s essential not to abandon your plan.
If you are investing with a goal in mind, you have probably got a date in mind too. If you have got a few goals, some may be further away in time than others, so you will probably have different strategies for your different investments.
How much time you have got to work with will have a big impact on the decisions you make. As a general rule, the longer you hold investments, the better the chance they will outperform cash – but there can never be a guarantee of this.
- Discretionary Fund Managers
- Market timing
- Minimising risk
- Multiple asset classes
- Portfolio insulation
- Pound cost averaging
- Principles of investing
- Children’s pensions
- Defined benefit (or final salary) pensions
- Defined contribution pensions
- Personal pensions
- Self-Invested Personal Pensions (SIPPs)
- The state pension
- Annual allowance and lifetime allowance limits
- Busting myths about pensions
- Increases to pension age and new normal minimum pension age
- Pension freedoms
- Pension withdrawal methods
- The lifetime allowance
- Delaying retirement
- Generating income from investments throughout your retirement years
- Importance of a retirement wealth check
- Retirement goal setting
- Retirement planning
- Reviewing your retirement plan
- Staggered retirement
- Taking control of your retirement plans
- What can I do with my pension?
- What happens to my pension on death?
Growing your wealth
Goals based investing
- Cash flow modelling
- Creating a financial roadmap
- Investment objectives
- Timescales and market activity and the impact of losses
- ‘What if’ scenarios
- Discussing legacy planning with your loved ones
- Inheritance Tax (IHT)
- Inheritance Tax Residence Nil Rate Band (RNRB)
- Lasting power of attorney
- Lifetime transfers
- Making a Will
- Preserving wealth for future generations
- Protecting your assets for the next generation
- Slicing up your wealth pie