How to change the world – top tips from TYF Group’s Andy Middleton
- Never complain or criticise anything anyone is doing without offering a solution. Whenever you can, give people an inspiring idea of what they could do differently, an article to read or a contact to help them.
- Choose to help businesses that want to do the right things all of the time, not just some of the time – that’s why I moved my pension to The Path.
- Believe in the power of individual action – let go of the idea that you can’t make a difference – you absolutely can. I like to give the example from a friend who wrote to her local council and got helium balloons banned; all it took was one letter for them to pass a new policy.
- We all have more time on our hands now with COVID. So make the most of it. Use it to connect with someone to make a difference. Use the extra time you have to think about how you can help things change faster and at bigger scale.
- Build young people’s confidence by giving them real world challenges – they haven’t got the same constraints when thinking about what is and isn’t possible as adults can have. It builds their confidence and could give you a bright idea or two to work with.
- If people are doing a great job – tell them. If your local councillor does something and you like it let them know. Send them a note or write them a Facebook post. It’s really hard being on the frontline – even a single note to encourage them or say thank you helps leaders keep going.
- Believe in the power of stories – it’s the stories that make the difference that move the actions. Practice the story you most want to tell about the future you’re helping to build.
- Try and find people who are doing the right thing. Ask great questions and learn from them. Ask for help with projects that are so exciting they can’t say no.
- Be kind. Say thank you. You’ll never know what a difference your kind words could make. It could change a life.
- Practice the art of letting go of failure. We’re the only species that does it; all others experiment, learn and move on – that’s what we need to do, at work, at home and in our communities.
RECEIVE UPDATES FROM THE PATH
Join our mailing list and be the first to hear about our continuing journey and service offerings.
Error: Please provide a valid email address
FOLLOW THE PATH
The Path Financial Ltd. Registered in England. Company No. 11583740. Registered office address: The Path Financial Ltd, Watch Oak, Battle, TN33 0YD
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.
The Path is entered on the Financial Services Register https://register.fca.org.uk under reference 827270.
The guidance and/or advice contained within this website is subject to the UK regulatory regime, and is therefore targeted at consumers based in the UK.
© 2019 The Path Financial Ltd. All rights reserved.